Transforming Young Musicians
Summer study is an essential experience in musical development. In intensive, immersive environments, young musicians are surrounded by new experiences, teachers, and peers, which will hugely impact their futures.
Common Application for Summer Study
Equity Arc has partnered with some of the finest summer programs to develop the Common Application for Summer Study. In this revolutionary initiative, young musicians may apply to any partner programs for which they are eligible through one application and audition.
Each partner program has committed at least one full-tuition fellowship for a student applying through the Equity Arc Common Application, with additional financial support as resources allow.
Each partner has their own deadlines and serves different age ranges, as noted below. On the application form, each partner is listed as a separate program – once you fill out one application, your answers can be autofilled for any other program for which you are eligible.
Equity Arc covers the application fee for every eligible student. The application is hosted on Acceptd.
To be eligible to use the Common Application, students must identify as BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and/or people of color).
Each partner has their own deadlines and serves different age ranges, as noted below. You may apply to each program separately at their application deadlines. The answers you provide in your first application will autofill for each additional application. See Audition Requirements below for details.
|Partner||Location||Ages||Application Deadline||Audition Requirements|
|Ascent International Chamber Music Festival||Cincinnati||13-30||2/15/2023||List 2|
|Boston University Tanglewood Institute||Boston||14-20||1/25/2023||List 1|
|Brevard Music Center Summer Institute and Festival||North Carolina||14-18 and 18-29||2/15/2023||List 1 (college) List 2 (high school)|
|Green Mountain Chamber Music Festival||Vermont||14-30||2/1/2023||List 2|
|Interlochen Arts Camp||Michigan||8-18||1/15/2023||List 2|
|Kinhaven Music School||Vermont||9-28||3/1/2023||List 2|
|Luzerne Music Center||Upstate New York||9-18||3/15/2023||List 2|
|National Orchestral Institute + Festival||Maryland||18-30||2/15/2023||List 1|
|National Repertory Orchestra||Colorado||18-29||2/10/2023||List 1|
|National Symphony Orchestra Summer Music Institute||Washington, DC||15-20||1/17/2023||List 1|
|National Youth Orchestra of the United States of America||New York City + International Tour||16-19||12/31/2022||List 1|
|NYO2||New York City + Miami||14-17||12/31/2022||List 1|
|New England Conservatory Summer Orchestra Institute||Boston||13-18||3/1/2023||List 1|
|Sewanee Summer Music Festival and String Academy||Tennessee||11-13 and 14-24||2/17/2023||List 1|
|VIA Academy||Virtual + Miami||14-18||4/14/2023||List 2|
Based on the requirements of each program, there are two separate audition lists. You may use the same solo repertoire for each list and will be able to upload an additional selection in case any additional minutes are needed.
View our suggested excerpt list.
- Two contrasting solo works of 3-7 minutes – please note one selection should be the exposition from a standard concerto.
- Three orchestral excerpts from our suggested excerpt list.
- Boston University Tanglewood Institute
- Brevard Music Center College Division
- National Orchestral Institute + Festival
- National Repertory Orchestra
- National Symphony Orchestra Summer Music Institute
- National Youth Orchestra of the United States of America
- NEC Summer Orchestra Institute
- Contrasting solo materials of 6-10 minutes.
- If you are also applying to programs from List 1, please ensure that one of your selections is the exposition of a major concerto.
- Ascent International Chamber Music Festival
- Brevard Music Center High School Division
- Green Mountain Chamber Music Festival
- Kinhaven Music School
- Luzerne Music Center
- Interlochen Arts Camp
- Sewanee String Academy
- Sewanee Summer Music Festival
- VIA Academy